Cebren (Чебрен) – Monastery complex in Mariovo

Cebren (Чебрен, Chebren) monastery complex in the past the  was one of the richest and most famous in Mariovo and the wider region.

Its excellent strategic position and the fact that during Ottoman rule the region of Mariovo didn’t had islamization of the population, were the prime factors why this monastery was one of the richest in Macedonia. This can be seen from the impressive base remains of the old monastery St. Dimitrij (Св. Димитриј, Sv. Dimitrij) (XV cent), from which only the altar part remained and in smaller dimension the present object was built around it.

sv-dimitrija-cebren-mariovo

sv-dimitrija-cebren-mariovo-02
The monastery owned watermills with 12 millstones, livestock, fields, pastures and large forest areas. From the written documents we can see that the monastery in XIX century had cell school on old Slavonic language. This school was a base for new teachers and priests for the villages in Mariovo.
Nearby the church Holy Salvation (Св. Спас, Sv. Spas) is located, known by its frescos dated back since XVI century.

sv-spas-cebren-mariovo-01

sv-spas-cebren-mariovo-02

sv-spas-cebren-mariovo-03

sv-spas-cebren-mariovo-04

sv-spas-cebren-mariovo-05
The Chebren complex is located on the flow of Black River 5,5 km distant from village Zovik. Left before village Zovik it’s approximately 1 hour drive on a road appropriate only for terrain vehicles. Another possibility is the hiking road trough the picturesque nature, which depending on weather conditions takes approximately 1 h 30 min.
The monastery celebrates the holiday “Gjurgjovden” (May 5 and 6) when it has more than 200 visitors. It also has hospice with 12 beds, guest room, kitchen and aggregate lighting. Organized visits can be arranged with approval of the church board of village Zovik.

continue on next page>>>
продолжете на следна страна>>>

Latest posts

St. Clement – “Small” – church in Ohrid

The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet "Small" is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.

Holy Mary – Pandanos – church in Ohrid

The Church "Holy Mary - Pandanos" (Света Богородица - Панданос) is a Macedonian Orthodox Christian church located in the old part of Ohrid, just above the ancient theater, in the Kuzman Kapidan street.

Folk Costumes – Mariovo region – old photos gallery

Mariovo is a region located in the central part within the ethnic borders of Macedonia. It occupies the central flow of River Crna (Black) and from all sides is surrounded with spacious mountain ranges:

Bitola in 1863 – Photos from the collection of Josef Székely

Photo gallery - pictures taken by Viennese photographer Josef Székely during the 1863 Austro-Hungarian expedition to Macedonia, Northern Albania and Kosovo led by Johann Georg von Hahn.

Don't miss

Kriva Palanka (Крива Паланка)

Kriva Palanka is city in the northeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia with 14,558 inhabitants (2002).

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски) – Neolithic skeleton from Grncarica, village Krupiste

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски, Slave from Macedonia (Slave – name in Macedonia)) is Neolithic skeleton found on the archaeological site Grncarica near the village Krupiste.

Krani Beach – Auto Camp Krani – Prespa Lake

Krani Beach (Плажа Крани) is part of the Auto Camp Krani (Авто Камп Крани), which was recently renovated, so the Prespa region Prespa Lake gained another prestigious location.

Anti-Smoking law

In Republic of Macedonia smoking is banned on all public places,