Bike Tour - Vodno Peak Skopje is demanding in good fit of the rider. We start in Skopje, at an elevation of approximately 252 m.a.s.l., depending where we shall agree to meet.
At first, we take back alleys through Skopje to avoid heavy traffic. Then, when we reach the foot of Karšijak Mountain we take the main, and only road going up. The road makes a slow ascent towards the village Gorno Nerezi (Upper Nerezi) that is at 647 m.a.s.l.
We pass fields, vineyards and orchards along the road. In the village Gorno Nerezi we make a break and go to see the 11th century church of St Pantelejmon.
For those that have more time and/or in need of a longer break from riding, we can see the ethno village that was newly built there, as well.
From Gorno Nerezi, we ride cutting cross the mountain, on a fairly even road and passing through forests. After a five kilometres we reach the place known as Sredno Vodno (Middle Vodno). It is located at about half way from the peak Vodno. It is also a popular destination for an outing, there is a hotel and restaurants. We fill our water bottles there and continue up to the road to the peak. The road goes continuously upwards to the peak. Though, at few locations there are very steep sections.
If needed we make plenty of breaks to get some breath, but also to refill water and to enjoy the scenic view of Skopje. Otherwise it is an all asphalt road, and surrounded with forest. This is good in summer, when the day is hot, so shade is welcome, however in winter the shade keeps the ice there. So in winter extra care and skills are needed for the road back. After about five kilometres we reach the top. At the top, there is a mountain hut where we can have a tea and have a break to enjoy the view.
The road going back follows the same route, as the least frequent road and as the safest route. Though there are plenty options to take dirt roads or the cable car.
- The mountain hut works till 17h daily.
- Bring a camera. There are some wonderful viewpoints.
- During foggy winter days, this is the only way to get to see some sun.
- Option to have tea and snacks at the peak. Expenses not included.
- Option to have a meal in one of the restaurants in the mountain. Expense not included. Duration will increase.
- Option to take a cable car from Sredno Vodno to the top. Expense not included. Costs are 100 MKD / 1,6 EUR
- Option to take alternative unpaved or dirt roads.
Contact and more info:
Bicycle Tours & Guides
Mobile: +389 78 982981