In the town intensively began to develop crafts and trade, so that at the beginning of the XX c. population has doubled to 14,530 residents. Of these, 7,700 were Macedonians, 5,800 Turks, 600 Albanians, 350 Gypsies, 50 Vlachs and 30 Jews. In the period between the two world wars Kumanovo had not progressed much, so in 1931. its population counted 16,984 residents. The city starts to grow rapidly in the years after liberation.
In the middle of the last century (1953) the population counted 23,339 inhabitants, and in early XXI c. it increased to 78,602. Of them, 49,198 were Macedonians, 18,825 Albanians, 5,394 Serbs, Roma 4212, 256 Turks, 108 Vlachs 609 declared as others.
Today city of Kumanovo is the administrative center of the Municipality of Kumanovo, which covers an area of 50,948 ha, has 48 populated places with 105,484 residents. The city is one of the leading commercial centers in the country.
Most developed business and industry: machinery, textile, leather and tobacco. In the wider area of the city has significantly developed agriculture.
There are National Museum, Memorial Museum Christian Todorovski Karposh, Art Gallery, World War II Memorial, Matejce monastery above the village Matejce, Krapina monastery near the village Orah, church St. George in the village Staro Nagoricane, ASNOM monument in the village Pelince etc.
The city has a university, high school, and two vocational schools, health center, home culture, public library and other institutions in the field of culture and sports.
Nearby Kumanovo the famous megalithic observatory Kokino is located.
Where is Kumanovo:
330 m (1082 ft)
Summer (DST):CST (UTC+2)