Welcome to Macedonia
Macedonia is located in the central part of the Balkan Peninsula in South East Europe. Surrounded by land from all sides Macedonia borders with Serbia and Kosovo from North, Greece from South, Bulgaria from East, Albania from West.
Explore in Macedonia
Czar’s Towers (Carevi Kuli, Цареви Кули, Струмичко Кале) is most remarkable archaeological site in the city of Strumica. Strumica was called Tiveriopolis in the Middle Ages.
The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet “Small” is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.
The church St. Demetrius (St. Dimitrij, Macedonian – Св. Димитрија, Св. Димитриј) in Bitola was built in 1830, replacing the former old burnt chapel from 1726.
Smilevo village is the birthplace of the Macedonian national hero Dame Gruev – one of the founders of IMRO (Internal Macedonian Revolutionary Organization – Macedonian: ВМРО).
The monument Meckin Kamen (Мечкин Камен, Bear Stone) is located in the eponymous locality near the town Krusevo.
The monastery dedicated to St. Elijah (Св. Илија, Sv. Ilija) in village Melnica, Mariovo was built on the initiative of Stale Cheshelkov from village Polchishte, and with the support of the population from Mariovo.
St. Erazmo church is located on the Ohrid – Struga road, 2km away from Ohrid.
The Park of the Revolution (Парк на Револуцијата) is located on the southern side of the city of Prilep. Built 1961 in honor of the fallen soldiers for the Liberation of Macedonia, author of the project was the architect Bogdan Bogdanovic.
Tsar Samoil fortress is considered one of the largest preserved fortifications in Macedonia. The fortress was first mentioned by the historian Titus Livy in the 3rd century BC, as a fortress of the city Lychnidos. Bigger more detailed description dates from the 5th century when the fortress was defended from tribal attacks during the Great Migration period.
The building of the Metropolitan residence in Bitola, according to its historical and architectural aesthetic values, has the status of a cultural monument of the Republic of Macedonia.
Slepče (Slepche) monastery with a church dedicated to St. John the Forerunner is located approximately 3 km west of the village Slepče in Demir Hisar municipality.
The monument Ilinden (Илинден) also known as Makedonium (Македониум, Macedonium) is famous monumental complex in Krusevo.
Treskavec monastery (Манастир Трескавец) is located at about ten kilometers from Prilep city under the peak “Zlatovrv“ (Златоврв). The monastery church is dedicated to the Dormition of the Mother of God (Успение на Богородица).
Heraclea is mentioned by most of the ancient writers: Polybius, Strabo, Caesar and others., in all itinerariums (Itinerarium Antonini and others.) in Tabula Peutingeriana as a station on the road Heraclea – Stobi.
Church St. Sofia in Ohrid is one of the most significant monuments of medieval art and architecture in Macedonia. There is no precise historical data about the construction of the church. According to some, the present church was built on an older cult site.
The temple dedicated to the saints Constantine and Helena in Ohrid, near the church Holy Mary Perybleptos, was built and…
The church St. George in Staro Nagoricane (Црква Свети Ѓорѓи, Старо Нагоричане) occupies one of the most important places in the history of medieval Byzantine art in Macedonia.
The Monastery “St. George the Victorious” (Свети Георгиј Победоносец) is situated two kilometers from Debar in the Rajcica (Рајчица) village, just below the road leading to Mavrovo.
Sv. Nikola (St. Nicolas) is a small single-nave church located in the center of village Slepce, Demir hisar municipality. The church is probably built in teh XVII century.