Bezisten (Covered Bazaar) in Bitola

The preserved records from Bitola, pertaining the period from the XVI-XIX century, mention many public buildings characteristic of Turkish construction, including the covered bazaar “Bezisten – Bedesten” with its 86 stores.

Built in the XV century, this covered bazaar is a donation of Begler-Bey of Rumelia, the Grand Vizier and the famous donor Kodzha Daut Pasha Uzuncarsili.
Due to frequent robbery and looting at the time, it was given a special attention in the construction of the covered market and was quite solid material was used.
Although often robbed and burnt Bezisten served as a kind of vault, where the money from taxes of Rumeli Province were kept.

Until the end of World War II, a covered market serves as a covered bazaar, where various goods and fabrics were sold.

Bezisten in the beginning of XX century

bezisten-bedesten-bitola-1960-70

Bezisten and the surrounding shops during 1960s

 

bezisten-bedesten-bitola-1975-00

Bezisten in 1975, before its reconstruction

bezisten-bedesten-bitola-1975

Bezisten in 1975, before its reconstruction
Today Bezisten is active commercial facility (closed bazaar), in which exist many modern equipped shops which sell various goods and it is must see place, if you are planning to visit Bitola.

Bezisten - Bitola, Macedonia Bezisten - Bitola, Macedonia Bezisten - Bitola, Macedonia

Latest posts

St. Clement – “Small” – church in Ohrid

The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet "Small" is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.

Holy Mary – Pandanos – church in Ohrid

The Church "Holy Mary - Pandanos" (Света Богородица - Панданос) is a Macedonian Orthodox Christian church located in the old part of Ohrid, just above the ancient theater, in the Kuzman Kapidan street.

Folk Costumes – Mariovo region – old photos gallery

Mariovo is a region located in the central part within the ethnic borders of Macedonia. It occupies the central flow of River Crna (Black) and from all sides is surrounded with spacious mountain ranges:

Bitola in 1863 – Photos from the collection of Josef Székely

Photo gallery - pictures taken by Viennese photographer Josef Székely during the 1863 Austro-Hungarian expedition to Macedonia, Northern Albania and Kosovo led by Johann Georg von Hahn.

Don't miss

Krani Beach – Auto Camp Krani – Prespa Lake

Krani Beach (Плажа Крани) is part of the Auto Camp Krani (Авто Камп Крани), which was recently renovated, so the Prespa region Prespa Lake gained another prestigious location.

Kriva Palanka (Крива Паланка)

Kriva Palanka is city in the northeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia with 14,558 inhabitants (2002).

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски) – Neolithic skeleton from Grncarica, village Krupiste

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски, Slave from Macedonia (Slave – name in Macedonia)) is Neolithic skeleton found on the archaeological site Grncarica near the village Krupiste.

Debar Lake Photo Gallery

Photo gallery - Debar Lake, Macedonia