Bitola in 1913 – Photo gallery from Albert Kahn museum
In 1909 the millionaire French banker and philanthropist Albert Kahn embarked on an ambitious project to create a color photographic record of, and for, the peoples of the world.
As an idealist and an internationalist, Kahn believed that he could use the new Autochrome process, the world’s first user-friendly, true-colour photographic system, to promote cross-cultural peace and understanding.
Until recently, Kahn’s huge collection of 72,000 Autochromes remained relatively unheard of. Now, a century after he launched his project, this book and the BBC TV series it accompanies are bringing these dazzling pictures to a mass audience for the first time and putting color into what we tend to think of as an entirely monochrome age.
Kahn sent photographers to more than 50 countries(including Macedonia), often at crucial junctures in their history, when age-old cultures were on the brink of being changed forever by war and the march of twentieth-century globalization. They documented in true color the collapse of the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian empires, the last traditional Celtic villages in Ireland, and the soldiers of the First World War.
In Macedonia were sent the photographers August León and Jean Brin, in 1912-1913 during the Balkan Wars.
The photos in this article are excerpt from the publication: Macedonia in 1913 –
Autochromes from the collection of the Museum Albert Khan / Organizers:
Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Macedonia, Museum of the City of Skopje, Museum Albert Khan, French Cultural Center from Skopje, Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments and National Museum Ohrid, Institute for Protection of Monuments of Culture. Museum and Gallery Bitola, French Alliance from Bitola.
A shop window of a shop for selling lemonades and other refreshing drinks. It is part of the Bitola market built by Turks and Jews in the 16th century.
Interior of Il Kar Aragon Synagogue in Bitola, built around the middle or the end of the sixteenth century. It was destroyed during the Second World War.
Old Sephardic Jew, leader of the brotherhood “Hevra Nadish” whose concern was to bury the poor and the deceased without family. His clothes are traditional, with a characteristic cap in red serge.
The Jewish ghetto of Bitola known as Jaudihanata (the Jewish Quarter), which was located at current center of the city. The houses are made of stone, clay and wood. Jewish family in the courtyard of their house.
The “Broken Mosque” in Bitola. Today, this mosque no longer exists.
View of Bitola from the north-east side, at the site of the Turkish cemeteries, today the Uchici settlement, with the Hajdar Kadi mosque (1561-1562) in the foreground. Also seen are Sungur Chaush, Yeni and Isak Mosques, as well as the Clock Tower.
An elder Turk dressed in traditional Turkish costume consisting of a tunic, waistcoat, trousers, belt, fur coat and fez.