Church St. George, Staro Nagoricane (Црква Свети Ѓорѓи Старо Нагоричане)

The church St. George in Staro Nagoricane (Црква Свети Ѓорѓи, Старо Нагоричане) occupies one of the most important places in the history of medieval Byzantine art in Macedonia.

From the original church of Roman IV Diogenes (Роман IV Диоген) (1068-1071) are preserved only the walls of the facades, made from well formed stone blocks , the arches and a very small fragment of the former fresco painting on the north wall of the nave , as a testimony of the rich decoration that old church had.
Today’s church was rebuilt by the Serbian King Stefan II (1282-1321) in 1313, as it can be seen from the stone inscription above the rear entrance .
By its architecture, the church represents a monumental , three-nave , five arch basilica. The domes and vault surfaces are decorated with rich ceramic-plastic decoration . The frescoes originate from 1318 when the abbot of the monastery was Benjamin (Венијамин) .It is made by the most famous medieval artists in Macedonia , Mihajlo Astrapa (Михајло Aстрапа) and Evtihij (Евтихиј).
The paintings of Mihajlo and Evtihij its disntinctive for its precise shaping of the forms, rich narrative and pictorial range display, not only for the figures , but also for the elements in the space . With their work they proved themselves as highly educated artists, and right here in this temple they had reached their  peak in artistic and theological sense.
The church St. George represents real rich and unique gallery of paintings, masterpiece of Byzantine classicism of XIV century, and in the history of medieval art in Macedonia , the Balkans and beyond.

Latest posts

St. Clement – “Small” – church in Ohrid

The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet "Small" is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.

Holy Mary – Pandanos – church in Ohrid

The Church "Holy Mary - Pandanos" (Света Богородица - Панданос) is a Macedonian Orthodox Christian church located in the old part of Ohrid, just above the ancient theater, in the Kuzman Kapidan street.

Folk Costumes – Mariovo region – old photos gallery

Mariovo is a region located in the central part within the ethnic borders of Macedonia. It occupies the central flow of River Crna (Black) and from all sides is surrounded with spacious mountain ranges:

Bitola in 1863 – Photos from the collection of Josef Székely

Photo gallery - pictures taken by Viennese photographer Josef Székely during the 1863 Austro-Hungarian expedition to Macedonia, Northern Albania and Kosovo led by Johann Georg von Hahn.

Don't miss

Kriva Palanka (Крива Паланка)

Kriva Palanka is city in the northeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia with 14,558 inhabitants (2002).

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски) – Neolithic skeleton from Grncarica, village Krupiste

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски, Slave from Macedonia (Slave – name in Macedonia)) is Neolithic skeleton found on the archaeological site Grncarica near the village Krupiste.

Krani Beach – Auto Camp Krani – Prespa Lake

Krani Beach (Плажа Крани) is part of the Auto Camp Krani (Авто Камп Крани), which was recently renovated, so the Prespa region Prespa Lake gained another prestigious location.

Pelister National Park – Photo Gallery

Photo gallery of Pelister National Park, Republic of Macedonia