Czar’s Towers (Carevi Kuli, Цареви Кули, Струмичко Кале) is most remarkable archaeological site in the city of Strumica. Strumica was called Tiveriopolis in the Middle Ages.
Czar’s Towers it’s a high hill that rises to the southwest of the medieval and modern city.
Under today’s urban homes and gardens in the center and the old town of Strumica, regularly were found remains of old houses, workshops, shops and ancient churches until the Ottoman period. Czar’s Towers with its position had defense function, and the oldest traces of life date back from around 3500 BC.
In late Antique and Byzantine periods the hill was surrounded by walls and towers that had guaranteed the security of the selected population.
In the IX century Bulgarians took over the city as important communication and position for high Christian holiness, derived from St. 15 Martyrs from Tiveriopolis, by the first Bulgarian ruler – Christian, Prince Boris Michael (Борис Михаил).
As a city and fortress Tiveriopolis, the Towers played a big role in the wars between Byzantium and the Macedonian Tsar Samuil until 1018.
After the conquest, the Byzantines reorganized the defense raising new walls and towers until XIV century dominated the region and the city.
Changing the style of war and various military tactics contributed to change of appearance of Towers. Today we can see the remains of the lower and sturdier bulwark of suburbiumot (suburb), and the highest part of isohypses preserved acropolis.
The west side stands a gate with two towers. Before the entrance was dug a deep trench through which was lowered a drawbridge. The mostdominant place the acropolis, partially preserved, stands as a polygonal tower that was reserved for urban and military elite.
East of the tower there was a large cistern for water, necessary especially during sieges.
Discovered pottery, tools and coins depict the medieval life in the fortress until the conquest by the Ottoman Turks.
This happened in 1395, when the prince Constantine Dragas (Константин Драгаш), which ruled with this area, died as a Turkish vassal in the Battle at Rovine (Ровине). In the Ottoman period the life and function of “Carevi Kuli” disappeared, and the city became the seat of the Turkish Casa.