Haydar Kadi Mosque is located near the main city bazaar in Bitola.
Built in 1565 not far from Dragor River in a busy city district opposite the Sheep, the Wood and the Wheat markets, close to the Deboy Çifte Hamam, the Sungur Çavuş Bey Cami and the largest cemetery situated on its eastern side.
In accordance with the marble plaque above the main entrance portal, this religious foundation was erected in 1565 when the War hero (Gazi) Haydar Kadi Efendi was appointed a judge in Bitola.
Panorama of Bitola (Monastir) in 1848. Drawing by Edward Lear
According to some the mosque had a religious college and during its exsistance it was renovated several times.
The mosque was an active place of worship until 1912 and when was deserted.
During the first World War the minaret was hit by the artillery and collapsed.
According to authors in the field of Ottoman architecture on the Balkans, Tomovski, Redžić, Ayverdi and Andrejević, this mosque is the most harmonious and well-proportioned example of the Classical Ottoman style amongst Bitola’s mosques. For some other scholars this mosque can be ascribed to workmanship, which may have originated from the office of the chief architect Sinan. This hypotethical proposition needs to be clarified, however, because this mosque is not mentioned in the list of Mimar Sinan buildings.