The church Holy Salvation (Св. Спас) was built in the late seventeenth or early eighteenth century, after the fire in 1689 that burned much of the city.
During the nineteenth century, the church got its definite interior look. The iconostasis and icons were completed in 1824 and in 1867 part of the throne icons was made.
Church Holy Salvation in Skopje is known for its iconostasis, made in deep carving from 1819 to 1824, from woodcarving group of Petre Filipovski “Garka” with his brother Marko and Makarie (Macarius) Frckovski from village Galichnik. At the right end of the iconostasis of the south side are represented the authors Petre Filipovski as working out a plan, and the other two holding in their hands hammers and chisels.
The iconostasis represents the collective work of art. Petre Filipovski dedicated his entire life to woodcarving work and he left many iconostasis, such as: in the church in Lesnovo, the great cross in church St. George in Prizren and the iconostasis and canopy in Sv. Jovan (St. John) Bigorski monastery. During the last years of his life he made the iconostasis for the church Sv. Nikola (St. Nicholas) in Krusevo. This, his last piece burned during the Ilinden Uprising in 1903.
The iconostasis is 10 meters long and 6 meters high. Interestingly, the iconostasis in some biblical scenes handed characters with national folklore features.
In the courtyard of the church St. Spas is the tomb of the Macedonian revolutionary Goce Delchev (Гоце Делчев). Sarcophagus shaped coffin made of marble which is placed on three small stone pillars that symbolize the parts of Macedonia in its ethnic boundaries.
Goce Delchev died on May 4, 1903 (aged 31) in village Banitsa (Баница). His relics in 1917 from the village of Banica were moved to Sofia, where they were kept until the second World War when they were moved to Macedonia. The relics arrived in Skopje on 10th October 1946 and on the National Holiday 11th October holiday, were solemnly laid in a stone coffin. Museum dedicated to Goce Delchev was officially opened in 1998 and it has a permanent exhibition dedicated to his life and revolutionary work.