Isar Marvinci – archaeological site near Valandovo

Isar (Исар) site is located above the village Marvinci (Марвинци) from its southwestern side of seven kilometers southwest of city Valandovo (Валандово).

Ever since early antiquity thus passed the path of the acropolis, which lowered to the level of the bed of Vardar River and continued to Grchishte (Грчиште) or Gloska chuka (Глоска Чука).
Here, at the place known as “separation” Vardar has firmly rocky bottom, which enabled passage to the other side of the river. The other side of the Isar is steep, a circumstance that gave security and protection of the settlement which occurred here and took place over 1500 years.
Isar is spilled point amidst the valley where blowing winds. Acropolis is located at the highest elevation of 131 m above sea level had to be well protected from atmospheric conditions in the region. The oldest traces of inhabited layers are extremely impressive. Residential houses are located in positions supported by rocks, which, in certain places the rocks were cut to a certain depth to achieve stability and protection of economic and residential buildings.
The city on the Isar was most intensively inhabited in II and III century AD, and later with lower intensity traces exsits until V century. After the Gothic attacks in 268/269 BC from the city suffered after it is built castrum (kvadriburg) with defensive walls that cover an area of approximately 6000 m2.
The most characteristic architectural content castrum are: Macedonian-Roman temple built in 181/182 of the new era of a senior Macedonian official originally from the city. This data has the arhitravnata beam that mentions the person who erected a temple in memory of his city.

isar-marvinci-makedonia

Architrave beam inscription from a temple Makedonijarh, beginning of IV century

 

The city on the Isar (Idomeni or Dober) is significant in that in its immediate vicinity has burials from the VIII century BC (Iron Age) until the end of IV or V century BC.
Rich grave finds are exhibited in the Museum of Macedonia. Recently discovered a remarkable epigraphic monument which noted that donor Marcus Aurelius build the water supply of the city on the Isar.
On the other side of this inscription is seen the five member delegation which visited the city of from Rome, asking to be exempt from tax for a period of time while staying in the city king’s troops.
The ancient city Isar (Исар) was destroyed by an earthquake in the beginning of VI century. Then, among other facilities, was completely destroyed its water supply system, which ment end of the city.

 

Latest posts

St. Clement – “Small” – church in Ohrid

The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet "Small" is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.

Holy Mary – Pandanos – church in Ohrid

The Church "Holy Mary - Pandanos" (Света Богородица - Панданос) is a Macedonian Orthodox Christian church located in the old part of Ohrid, just above the ancient theater, in the Kuzman Kapidan street.

Folk Costumes – Mariovo region – old photos gallery

Mariovo is a region located in the central part within the ethnic borders of Macedonia. It occupies the central flow of River Crna (Black) and from all sides is surrounded with spacious mountain ranges:

Bitola in 1863 – Photos from the collection of Josef Székely

Photo gallery - pictures taken by Viennese photographer Josef Székely during the 1863 Austro-Hungarian expedition to Macedonia, Northern Albania and Kosovo led by Johann Georg von Hahn.

Don't miss

Krani Beach – Auto Camp Krani – Prespa Lake

Krani Beach (Плажа Крани) is part of the Auto Camp Krani (Авто Камп Крани), which was recently renovated, so the Prespa region Prespa Lake gained another prestigious location.

Kriva Palanka (Крива Паланка)

Kriva Palanka is city in the northeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia with 14,558 inhabitants (2002).

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски) – Neolithic skeleton from Grncarica, village Krupiste

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски, Slave from Macedonia (Slave – name in Macedonia)) is Neolithic skeleton found on the archaeological site Grncarica near the village Krupiste.

St. lija (Elijah) Banjani

North-west of Skopje, on Banjska river valley near the village Banjani the church is St. Ilija (Elijah) is located.