Kozuv mountain

Kozuf is a mountain on the border between Macedonia and Greece with highest peak “Zelen Breg ” (Зелен Брег) – 2.171 meters. Other peaks higher than 2,000 meters are “Pinovon” (2.156 m), “Duditsa” (2.132 m), “Porta” (2.112 m), “Moreto” (2.102 m), “Markovo Ezero” (2.035m) and “Mala Rupa” (2.004m).

Kozuf Mountain covers an area of 893 km2, of which about 80% are in Macedonia, while the remaining 20% are in the territory of the Republic of Greece. It extends in southwest-northeast direction.
Kozuf Mountain abounds with water potential and springs of numerous rivers. The river “Došnica” is one of the most beautiful and cleanest rivers in Macedonia, in which trout, crab, chub, and other species exist.

Kozuf mountain is a habitat for lynxes and bears as rare and protected species.

The flora is rich in various species, but the most attractive are the medicinal herbs and the tree (Arbutus andrachne) also known as the “naked man”, which is protected by law. The “naked man” is an endemic species of evergreen tree whose crust is red and scaly, and which changes twice a year. It is gentle like the human skin and hence the folk name of the tree.

At an altitude of 850 meters, the site “Smrdliva Voda”, known for its mineral water source with a specific fragrance and medicinal properties, is used to treat diseases of the stomach and kidneys.
Kozuv mountain on an area of 2,000 hectares, has a modern ski resort with two ski lifts, with a capacity of 3,000 skiers per hour, one six-seater (the only one of this type in the Balkans), a restaurant, apartments and ski trails in length of 16 km.

Latest posts

St. Clement – “Small” – church in Ohrid

The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet "Small" is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.

Holy Mary – Pandanos – church in Ohrid

The Church "Holy Mary - Pandanos" (Света Богородица - Панданос) is a Macedonian Orthodox Christian church located in the old part of Ohrid, just above the ancient theater, in the Kuzman Kapidan street.

Folk Costumes – Mariovo region – old photos gallery

Mariovo is a region located in the central part within the ethnic borders of Macedonia. It occupies the central flow of River Crna (Black) and from all sides is surrounded with spacious mountain ranges:

Bitola in 1863 – Photos from the collection of Josef Székely

Photo gallery - pictures taken by Viennese photographer Josef Székely during the 1863 Austro-Hungarian expedition to Macedonia, Northern Albania and Kosovo led by Johann Georg von Hahn.

Don't miss

Kriva Palanka (Крива Паланка)

Kriva Palanka is city in the northeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia with 14,558 inhabitants (2002).

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски) – Neolithic skeleton from Grncarica, village Krupiste

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски, Slave from Macedonia (Slave – name in Macedonia)) is Neolithic skeleton found on the archaeological site Grncarica near the village Krupiste.

Krani Beach – Auto Camp Krani – Prespa Lake

Krani Beach (Плажа Крани) is part of the Auto Camp Krani (Авто Камп Крани), which was recently renovated, so the Prespa region Prespa Lake gained another prestigious location.

Anti-Smoking law

In Republic of Macedonia smoking is banned on all public places,