Kriva Palanka is city in the northeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia with 14,558 inhabitants (2002).
Lies in the easternmost part of Slavishka valley, on both sides of the Kriva (Curve) River, at altitude of about 620 m. It covers an area of 400 ha. Has a moderate continental climate with an average annual air temperature of 10.1 ° C (50,18 F), and average annual precipitation amount of 633 mm.
Through the city passes highway M-2, which on the west connects with Kumanovo and on east with Kyustendil and Sofia in Bulgaria.
Established by the vizier Bajram Pasha as a fortress on the road Skopje – Sofia (1633). Named after the Kriva (Curve) River and initially named Krivorechka Palanka or Turkish Egri Dere Palanka.
According to the description of Evliya Çelebi in 1660, Kriva Palanka consisted of a fortress in which there were 50 houses, warehouse and mosque and neighborhood with 800 houses, more stores, caravan caravansary, three mosques and baths.
In XVIII and XVIII c. the city was known as a mining site from which was received a very high quality iron and wad developed blacksmith craft.
When Kriva Palanka was visited by Ami Bue (1836), it had several iron ore smelters and iron works. After the liberation of Bulgaria, many Macedonians left Kriva Palanka and went in Bulgaria. On their places settled Turkish refugees from Bulgaria. However, after the Balkan wars they abruptly moved to Turkey, so that in 1921 Kriva Palanka had only 2.148 inhabitants. Territorial and urban city was quite extended in the years after World War II.
Old photos and postcards from Kriva Palanka
Today most of the population (95%) is Macedonian, Roma (668) and Serb (88).
Kriva Palanka is the seat of Municipality of Kriva Palanka which covers an area of 48,081 ha, there are 34 settlements with 20,820 inhabitants. The population is mainly employed in the mining industry. There is a lead and zinc mine ore “Toranica” textile factory, gymnasium and health center.
In the immediate vicinity of the city in the locality Sarandopor the monastery “St. Joakim Osogovski” is located with two churches, mansions and a large dining room.