Markovi Kuli (King Marko Towers, Маркови Кули) in Prilep

- Advertisement -

On the northern outskirts of the city of Prilep, in lower town Varos (Варош) over the granite rocks is situated the site Markovi Kuli (King Marko Towers, Маркови Кули), as transparent remnant of medieval monuments in Macedonia.

The first archaeological research on Markovi Kuli, its suburb, and on the area of today’s settlement Varos were launched in 1958 and showed continuity of life on this area.
The granite rocks of Marko’s Towers, and its suburb Varos resulted with remnants of cultural layers of Late Neolithic to the XIX century.
The most impressive medieval material traces are remnants of three of defense walls of the King Marko’s fortress, which identifies and recognizes the modern city of Prilep.
The oldest remains with traces of construction, destruction and reconstruction, resulted in the highest northeast from the balcony, and come from III – II centuries BC, a period associated with the Roman-Macedonian Wars.
During the medieval period, the fortress was improved and supplemented. Today’s appearance with a maximum range of three defensive belts, with low walls and archer positions in them, it got at the time of the Byzantine Emperor Andronicus II.
Fortress lost its strategic importance after the death of King Marko in 1395 year.
On the area of secondary congenital Prilep, Varos were built several church buildings that confirm the city under Marko’s Towers as an important spiritual center in Macedonia. Marko’s Towers, spacious terraces and the lower town Varos reflect the lives of prominent medieval town of Prilep that its full blossom in the second half of XIII and the first half of the XIV century.
After the death of King Marko in late XIV century city under Marko’s Towers slowly fades and the new settlement form in the plains of northeastern edge of Pelagonian valley.

- Advertisement -

Must Read

St. Clement – “Small” – church in Ohrid

The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet "Small" is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.