The church dedicated to St. Nicholas (Св. Никола) was the former main church of Mavrovo village, which with the construction of the hydro system “Mavrovo”, was submerged by the waters of Mavrovo Lake.
Built in 1857 using carved stone, it had a marble altar, valuable iconostasis and icons made by Dicho Zograf (Дичо Зограф). During the construction, a special stone and construction technique were used, which is the main reason that the building and the belfry to this day are largely preserved.
The church was submerged with the creation of Mavrovo Lake in 1956, when the inventory was transferred to the new church, which initially was of smaller size.
Today the submerged church in Mavrovo is one of the most photographed themes by the large number of tourists who visit the Mavrovo National Park and Mavrovo Ski Center. It can also be visited during the dry days of the year.