sv-nikola-mavrovo-macedonia

The old church St. Nicholas (Св. Никола) was built in 1857 using carved stone. It also had a marble altar, valuable iconostasis and icons made by Dicho Zograf. This church is called “the old one” and it is the one submerged in Mavrovo Lake.
With the construction of the hydroelectric system “Mavrovo” in 1956, the inventory from the old church was transferred to the new location, where the new church initially had smaller dimensions.
Today’s Church St. Nicholas and was started in 1990’s and completed in 2006.