Stip is city in the eastern part of the Republic of Macedonia with 43,652 inhabitants (2002).
It is located in hilly terrain between Bregalnica and the occasional water flow Otinja, at an altitude between 260 and 320 m. It covers an area of 2,080 ha.
With the highway M-5 to the west Stip is associated with Veles, and on the east with Kocani and Delcevo, and trough highway M-6 southeast with Radovish and Strumica. Stip is a railway station on the rail line Veles-Kocani.
Stip has a moderate continental climate with an average annual air temperature of 12,8 ° C (53,6 F) and the average annual amount of rainfall of 482 mm.
Stip is considered one of the oldest cities in Macedonia. It is formed at the site of the ancient Roman city Astibus, which at the time of Byzantium is mentioned under the name Stipeon, after which the city received the present day name.
As a city fortress under the name Stip the city was in the composition of the Macedonian state of Tzar Samuel. Turks conquered Stip in 1395. At the time of their rule the city is an important settlement on the Ser road, and in the XVI and XVIII century was bishop’s seat.
The famous Turkish traveler Evliya Çelebi for Stip states that had 2,240 houses, 450 shops, a bezisten, caravan saray, 27 mosques and 7 hans (inns), while the French consul Bozur reported in 1800 that the city has a population of 3000-4000.
In the XIX century, especially in its second half, the city grew in economic and population sense, and within in 1900 lived 20,900 inhabitants. At the time of the Balkan wars and First World War, Stip was in the zone of military operations, which, together with the emigration of Turks, had negative effect on the development of the city, so in 1931 the population decreased to 11,859 inhabitants.