Tikveski grozdober – grape carnival in city of Kavadarci

“Tikveski grozdober”( Тиквешки гроздобер) or “ Kavadarecki grozdober” (Кавадаречки гроздобер) the grape carnival in city of Kavadarci represents a continuation of a long and  rich tradition in this region, which exsists since the time of ancient Macedonia , when in honor of Dionysus, the God of wine, were held “Dionysius days”.

These festivities lasted several days and were attended by the entire population (both free people and slaves ) .
Ancient Macedonians with great skill and love cherished and cultivated  this culture as witnessed by the many grave stele , reliefs and mosaics of archeological sites in Tikvesh region . Viticulture in the Middle Ages continued to be nurtured in this region , and its main centers were church and monastery properties , which had prepared the best wine . With the invasion of Turks stagnated  its production , because the Koran  prohibited the use of alcoholic beverages .

kavadarci-grozdober-03

kavadarci-grozdober-04

kavadarci-grozdober-05
Beginnings
Municipal leadership in Kavadarci in 1964 organized the first “Tikveski Grozdober ” event which has economic , cultural and tourist character.

 

Tikveshki Grozdober today
This event is held every year in the middle of September . Each year are elected  representatives of grapes : King , Queen and their escorts. Participants to the carnival procession are mostly kids from Kavadarci schools . The parade every year is enriched by guests: ensembles from around the world .
The city of Kavadarci today, is the best known and largest producer of grapes and wine in Republic of Macedonia and one of the biggest on the Balkan Peninsula .

 

Latest posts

St. Clement – “Small” – church in Ohrid

The Church dedicated to St. Clement (Св. Климент) is the only one from the Ohrid churches that since its beginning has been devoted to the patron of the city. The epithet "Small" is probably obtained because of its modest dimensions.

Holy Mary – Pandanos – church in Ohrid

The Church "Holy Mary - Pandanos" (Света Богородица - Панданос) is a Macedonian Orthodox Christian church located in the old part of Ohrid, just above the ancient theater, in the Kuzman Kapidan street.

Folk Costumes – Mariovo region – old photos gallery

Mariovo is a region located in the central part within the ethnic borders of Macedonia. It occupies the central flow of River Crna (Black) and from all sides is surrounded with spacious mountain ranges:

Bitola in 1863 – Photos from the collection of Josef Székely

Photo gallery - pictures taken by Viennese photographer Josef Székely during the 1863 Austro-Hungarian expedition to Macedonia, Northern Albania and Kosovo led by Johann Georg von Hahn.

Don't miss

Kriva Palanka (Крива Паланка)

Kriva Palanka is city in the northeastern part of the Republic of Macedonia with 14,558 inhabitants (2002).

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски) – Neolithic skeleton from Grncarica, village Krupiste

Slave Makedonski (Славе Македонски, Slave from Macedonia (Slave – name in Macedonia)) is Neolithic skeleton found on the archaeological site Grncarica near the village Krupiste.

Krani Beach – Auto Camp Krani – Prespa Lake

Krani Beach (Плажа Крани) is part of the Auto Camp Krani (Авто Камп Крани), which was recently renovated, so the Prespa region Prespa Lake gained another prestigious location.

Havzi Pasha Hospices (Bardovci) in Skopje

Havzi Pasha hospices (inns) in Bardovci were built in the first half of the nineteenth century, probably between 1830 to 1845, because Havzi Pasha became pasha of Skopje somewhere in 1820 and in 1845 he left Skopje, and shortly afterwards died.