Treskavec monastery (Манастир Трескавец) is located at about ten kilometers from Prilep city under the peak “Zlatovrv“ (Златоврв). The monastery church is dedicated to the Dormition of the Mother of God (Успение на Богородица).
Treskavec Monastery is a complex of various buildings, ruins and auxiliary objects, which have not been sufficiently studied.
In the fresco inscriptions, located above the main door of the monastery are mentioned the Byzantine emperors Andronicus II (1282-1328) and his co-ruler Mihajlo IX. These are actually the first donors of the Treskavec monastery.
Later in the XIV century, King Milutin (1282-1321), Emperor Dusan and his son Uros are mentioned, in the charters issued by Dusan as a donor of monastery Treksavec.
Treskavec monastery is considered to be built in the XIII century and rebuilt, probably at the time of King Milutin (1282-1321). It seems that the monastery was abandoned in the early years of the XV century.
In 2013 the monastery was hit by a major disaster – a fire destroyed the monastery quarters.
Immediately afterward, followed the work on clearing the burnt parts, an asphalt road was made, leading to the monastery, as final preparation for future works and its complete reconstruction.
Photo Gallery – Part 1
Date of photos: 03.09.2013